In 1921 Martin Yates Jr. got New Mexico's first state-issued oil-and-gas lease, working that part of the Permian Basin sticking into southeastern New Mexico. On a site picked by his wife Mary Marting brought in a gusher on April 9, 1924. It became the first commercial oil well in New Mexico and led to subsequent discoveries of vast amounts of oil and gas. The sculpture has his wife Mary pointing out where to drill. Once completed, the Bronze Sculpture will be on display in Artesia New Mexico.
March 23, 2004 was the unveiling in Artesia New Mexico.